CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 14, 2009

"This year I'm keeping it simple."

That's what I kept saying about Alyssa's birthday party this year.* Yeah...famous last words.

*Can you believe my baby is 5??? I can't think about it much, but I am working on a blog about it. I just can only handle a little bit at a time though or I risk a complete breakdown!!!

I did cut back from years past. For the last 4 parties, the guest list has been 75 people or more, cake, ice cream, several appetizers, punch, presents, decorations, games, LIVE ANIMALS, and over the top party favors. This year, I cut the guest list in half, only had cake and kool-aid, a couple of games, and easy party favors.

I did, however, promise Alyssa that I would decorate her party to look like we were really under the ocean. Sounds easy, right? Streamers, balloons (on the ceiling and the floor), and sea creatures hanging around as well.

Oh my goodness. I spent countless hours last week on these freaking sea animals. First, I had to draw them, then trace them all with a sharpie, cut them out, paint them, sharpie them again so that the details would show up better, and then glitter! Let's just say that the earliest I went to bed all week was 2am, and it was usually closer to 4am!

I do have to say that I am pretty proud of myself though. I DO NOT think of myself as "crafty," but I think that these all turned out SO good. The best part though, is that Alyssa LOVED LOVED LOVED it all!!! After years of trying too hard to impress other moms, I belatedly figured out that the person I should be worrying about impressing is the birthday girl herself. I must say that mission was accomplished.

Here are a few pics of the prep work from the week. I'll get all the party pics up soon!
















0 comments: