CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 15, 2008

SOS!!!!

I need your help. I am at a place mentally and emotionally where I don't know where to go from here. I feel like I am completely failing as a mother. I feel like - no, I know - that everyone that matters most in my life - Chris, Alyssa and Blakely - gets only second best from me, and I don't know how to fix it. HOW do moms and wives do it everyday? How do you fix the meals, do the dishes, get sleep, feed the baby, mop the floors, run errands, give the baths, go to the gym, do the laundry, bathe yourself, have time with God, read the stories, help your husband run a business, play Candy Land for the 100th time, make the beds, spend "quality time" with your hubby, teach the kids about God & His word, and get them to bed at a decent time...all while keeping yourself together and in one piece? I have to be honest, I'm an emotional wreck right now trying to figure this out and keep it all together. I'm not even sure Alyssa likes me much...she's much happier with her daddy...there are times I KNOW Chris doesn't like me - I don't blame them...I don't like myself very much these days either. Blakely's the only one who always has a smile on her face to see me...and I think that's only b/c I feed her!

But right now, Blakely is not my concern - Alyssa is. She is almost constantly crying, pouting, whining, disobeying or acting out. And for those of you who know her KNOW that isn't my baby. She tells me that she doesn't want me to put her to bed because she loves her daddy and not me. And then she cries her eyes out b/c I'm crying, and she knows that she has hurt my feelings. She throws fits and seems to constantly be frustrated by something. She's happy at school and church...I've double checked both places...the only other place she spends her time is home. I know her behavior is probably a combination of things...new baby sister, being 4 years old, a busy mom and dad, not getting enough rest...but, I can't help but think it's also b/c I'm screwing up somehow.

I know what my goals are as a wife and mother. (My goals for a wife are a totally different blog...) As a mom, I want, first and foremost, to teach my children a love and a hunger for God. While at the same time, teaching and showing them how completely in love God is with them. I want to teach by example the type of self confidence they should always have. I want them to learn how to unconditionally love and serve others by watching me. I know what I want to do for them...but how in the world does it ever get done, when I don't feel like I have enough time to even take a deep breath?

So, now...what I need from all of you (& anyone else you can get to read this!) I know not all of you are moms of 2 small girls...some of you aren't even moms yet at all. But you have moms...how do you do it? How did your moms do it? I know that there has to be some good advice out there on how to get what matters most done, when you're not able to slow down your life enough to get it all done. What do you do? What do you remember from growing up that you cherish? I'm NOT looking for pats on the back telling me what a great mother I am or for you to tell me not to be so hard on myself. My girls' futures depend on me and Chris, and we both know that what we're doing now isn't working...not like it's supposed to anyway...they deserve better. So I need advice...and the best place to get it is from other moms and daughters.

Thanks for your input, and thanks for letting me be open and share. I look forward to learning from you. And oh...if you don't feel like your answers being read by everyone, you can email me whitney.white@ltdteam.com

6 comments:

The Cates Fam said...

Whitney,

First let me start by saying I love you dearly and am sure you are a wonderful mom (I can tell because you are concerned about this very issue). If you were not a wonderful mom, you wouldn't care, or even notice.

Secondly, I think all moms struggle with this. I know I do and I only have one kid!

I had a wonderful conversation awhile ago with a mother that I look up to so much. We were talking about parenting and what you are suppose to do when you don't know what to do. She said, "when in doubt...pray and focus you energy on your spouse". I think this is very wise. I am a total believer in the fact that when you work on your relationship with your spouse (even if that means not reading the kids their favorite book and skipping Candy Land for the 101th time), then your other family relationships will become stronger. Children are so very observant....if Alyssa senses that you are not happy, then she is going to be very unhappy, uneasy about life at home, and a little out of balance/whack!

As far as Alyssa liking Chris better...I totally feel ya there. Alyssa gets to see you all day...I'm sure she just misses her daddy...hopefully it is just a phase (that is what I tell myself, anyway).

Hang in there. This too shall pass....

Love you,
Jessica

TF said...

I came about this by way of the Cates Family. I have a 4 year old son and an 18 month old daughter. It's a struggle. There are days... weeks even where I feel just like you. I feel overwhelmed, exhausted, and there are days when staying in bed seems like the answer. I by no means have the answers! But I know that the blessings of my family would not have been given to someone who couldn't handle them. I find myself having to trust more in the grace of God that he knew what he was doing giving me these children even if I don't always feel like I have a clue raising them. I've always felt I had to make it work alone. It has been only recently (and with the second child) when I realized that doing it alone wasn't the answer. I am a better wife and mother, sister and daughter, friend and coworker, etc when I take time for myself. That may only happen every now and then and I may only get 15 minutes of quiet time, but I try to hold on to it. Make the most and remember to ask for what I need from God, family and friends.

My laundry doesn't get done as quickly as I'd like, my bed are rarely made, the floors mopped less frequently, but I have more time with my kids and husband. In the end messy house and family family, a lesson in letting go....that's what I'd suggest.

Jess is right.... this too will pass. Trust yourself, trust your God, trust your family and friends. In the end it will work out. Your daughters will be fine and happy, they will know they are loved! Best wishes to you and your family.

Ashley said...

Girlfriend! Haven't we all been here? The truth of the matter is, there is no possible way in heck that list you just made can ALL be done--and if you managed to make it happen, nothing would be done well.

I pulled the things of your list that are most neglected in my life: mopping floors, running errands, bathe self (most weeks i get two showers...maybe 3), gym, time with God (i hate to admit), helping husband or for me supporting husband's work, getting everyone to bed at a decent time.

Some things simply have to go. Every once in awhile, when those neglected things MUST get done, you rotate something else into the "back-burner zone". Just keep these two always at the top: quantity time with kids, and quality time with your husband.

Most nights I go to bed completely exhausted; the other nights I go to bed so exhausted that all my muscles ache including my throat. I think this is pretty normal unless you are going to bed so-exhausted-you're-sore OR (this happened just 2-3 times when my second baby was really little and i got no sleep) so exhausted that you feel angry at your kids or find yourself having a very short temper with them. This could be a sign that something really needs to change. If you feel that your family is coming second, what is coming first? You did not mention it, but is it work? Rhetorical question: what if you did not have to help him with work? Could you downsize your house and hire a secretary? These are just thoughts based on knowing nothing about y'all's work or business. If you cannot do that, then could you hire a housekeeper if only once or twice a month? Could you reduce the amount of days Alyssa is in school and use that tuition to hire a housekeeper or buy more "homemade-but-not-by-me" casseroles and reduce your cooking load, while spending more time with her? You know what, I'm going to email you; this is getting long.

Meredith said...

You already know I have no magical words of wisdom...I'm in the same boat as you. I admire you for being so honest and for seeking help. Sounds like you are getting some good responses here. Pray about it. I know HE can give us the answers we need if we slow down enough to hear HIM.

The Bells said...

So, I'm not a mom yet, so you can just skip right over mine.....BUT, my answer would be: "YOU DON'T"

You don't get everything done on your list.

You don't do everything your kids want you to do.

You don't do everything your husband wants you to do.

You don't set unobtainable goals for yourself.

You are too hard on yourself....and you're making me feel overwhelmed already. Just remind yourself that most moms feel they must do all the things you are trying to do, except they have AT LEAST 45 LESS hours per week than you because they are commuting and working full time jobs.

I think you should just have a third kid and then you won't even have time to think about what needs to be done! KIDDING--don't shoot me!

Jordan Malone said...

Wow! I'm overwhelmed at the things I just became aware of (thanks to you) that I'm either not doing or not doing well! Sounds like to me you are a wonderful mother and teacher to your children. I'm still in survival mode with a 1 yr old and a 2 yr old. I keep telling myself that when they get older then I will be a better mom! Just by the things that you blog I am in complete envy of you! And, I'm sure the things you blog are not even 1% of the things that you do with/for your girls! I need some lessons from you! BTW, why don't we ever get together or why are we not better friends? We have similar goals in life....raising our kids to love God and love others and in the meantime having a relationship with God and our husbands as well!!?? Think I could learn a thing or two from you!